What’s the difference between uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage?

 In Law Planet, Personal Injury


Today I’d like to talk to you about the difference between uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist insurance coverage. The two are very important to have when you’re involved in an automobile accident. 

Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if the person that causes the accident or contributes to the accident doesn’t have any coverage that will protect you for your injuries. Underinsured motorist coverage is the type of coverage that protects you from people that don’t have enough coverage.

Why is that important? Statistically, more and more cars are driving on the highways without any insurance at all or with very low limits. You need to protect yourself the same way you are protecting others by making sure your policy has uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Insurance companies in this Florida are obligated to provide this coverage to you, but they don’t like doing it. They’ll try to have you sign a waiver or reductions of this type of coverage. It is imperative that you have this coverage as part of your auto policy.

I recommend that everyone should have a $100,000 minimum. Why? When you are involved in a catastrophic accident, you need all the coverage and money you can get to cover your damages. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is vital to have when you are driving on the roads of this state.

While uninsured/underinsured (UIM/UM) motorist insurance coverage is extremely important in the state of Florida, it’s not mandatory. Do you know what insurance coverage you MUST have in Florida and what else is not mandatory but just as important as UM/UIM? Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance along with property damage insurance are both required coverage, while bodily injury insurance and UM/UIM should be required, in my opinion.

Click here to find out what type of car insurance you need in Florida.

Start typing and press Enter to search