6 Tips For Crowd Safety At Sunfest
This week West Palm Beach’s annual five day SunFest will take place downtown. The event is filled with concerts, art shows, and family fun activities that bring in large crowds of people. Unfortunately, sometimes in these large crowds, safety can become a major issue. The following are six tips to help keep you safe in these crowds:
- Know What To Expect – Planning things ahead of time is very important. Know what you can or can’t bring in with you (for example: food, cameras or umbrellas). Large crowds can mean long lines and long waits for certain things. Be patient and understand that the people around you have been waiting just as long as you have. Also, remember that the volunteers and staff have been there all day and want to help you as much as possible so be kind to them!
- Check The Weather Beforehand – Dressing appropriately for the weather can make or break your entire day. During warmer events, like Sunfest, make sure you bring sunblock, drink lots of water and dress lightly! Dressing improperly for an event with large crowds can be a safety concern and it can also become very uncomfortable!
- Know Your Surroundings – Events like Sunfest tend to have a lot going on at once. For safety reasons it is very important to understand and be aware of everything going on around you. Be on the lookout for wires, rope, trash or debris, and any low sitting equipment that may be on the ground. It can be easy to misstep and trip over these types of things and possibly fall into something like a stage, a fence or another person.
- Protect Yourself With large crowds comes many dangers. Make sure you aren’t touching everything around you and wash your hands throughout the day. You never know what types of germs people are carrying with them. Bring a small hand sanitizer or hand antiseptic with you. It is a great alternative to washing with soap and water which may be in short supply at events like Sunfest.
- Protect Your Belongings –It is also important to protect your belongings. Make sure you know where you wallet, purse, phone or other personal items are at all times. With larger crowds it is easy from someone pick pocket or steal something and take off into the crowd.
- Know Your Limits – At large festivals and music events it’s easy to lose track of how much you have had to drink. Don’t put yourself in a situation where you are going to get in trouble, hurt yourself or hurt someone else. If you are old enough to drink alcohol do it responsibly and ALWAYS have a designated driver! It is also important to remember that the sun increases the effect of alcohol so make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
Stay safe in large crowds, but if you have been injured due to a large crowd or mishap at an event, speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to find out your rights.
Image courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net by Photostock