How to Apply for Social Security Disability Insurance?
There are three ways to begin the application process for Social Security Disability Benefits. The first way is by calling the Social Security Administration. The second way is by visiting the Social Security website and completing the online application. The third and final way is by applying in person at your local Social Security office. Below you will find a step-by-step guide for each process.
I – Applying By Phone:
- If you decide to apply by phone, the first step would be to call the national number for the Social Security Administration. That phone number is (800) 772-1213. This number receives a high volume of phone calls every day. The best time to call SSA is early in the morning to not experience a significant wait time.
- When you speak with a case worker, they may either complete your application with you at that moment or they may schedule a time to call you back. You should be prepared for the application to take approximately 60 minutes over the phone.
- You will need a list of your doctors, your medications, and your employment history for the past 15 years.
- Once your phone call is complete you have filed you application. You will then receive a letter in the mail from SSA confirming receipt of your application.
II – Applying By Website:
- Applying on the Social Security website tends to be the more preferable method. This way provides you with the flexibility to complete the application at your leisure and also provides you with an immediate receipt of the application. Far too often, SSA loses applications. If you have a receipt in hand at least you will protect your filing date which is important in terms of when you may begin to start receiving benefits.
- The first step to apply online is to visit the SSA website at https://www.ssa.gov/.
- Once on the website, click on the box that says “apply for disability.”
- At the bottom of that screen is another box which again says “apply for disability”. Click that box again.
- You will then come to a screen that says “Apply Online for Disability Benefits” If you are just beginning the process you will want to click on the box that says “start a new application”.
- Once you click the box to start a new application, the Social Security system will prompt you through a series of questions.
- When you have answered all of the prompts, the system will allow you to submit your application. When you do that, make sure to print a copy of the receipt showing the date and time your application was submitted. You will want this for your records in the future.
III – Applying in Person:
- The final way to apply for disability benefits is by visiting your local Social Security office.
- If you are unsure as to the local of your local office, simply visit this website https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp.
- Once on this website insert your zip code and the location of your location office will come up along with the hours of operation. As with applying by phone, the wait times in office tend to be significant. The best time to apply for benefits is right when the office opens.
- When you arrive at your local office you will be required to check in with a computer system. On the computer system you will need to enter the reason you are there and then you will be given a number.
- When your number is called you will sit down with a case worker from Social Security who will ask you a series of questions regarding your work history and medical treatment. This visit should take approximately 30-45 minutes.
If you are unsure if you will qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance or if you would like a South Florida SSD Lawyer to look over your case, call our office at 866-LaBovick. LaBovick, LaBovick & Diaz provides free evaluations at any stage of the process and can work with you to complete your Social Security Disability application.